Thursday, August 30, 2012

Taryn Katter

The PLAN:

After graduating in May, I will apply for in-house design departments in the Pacific Northwest or in Salt Lake City.


The STATEMENT:


As a designer, I keep my design simple & significant. I use the basic elements and principles of design and other inspirations I find to create work that stands out. I stay creative, I'm confident in my work, and I problem solve to put out the most significant work possible.  My canvas comes in many forms: computer screens, paper, t-shirts, food trucks...and all of them are just as inspiring as the next.
Graphic design is my passion, I wouldn't be happy if I wasn't looking at the fonts on signs and staying up late to keep working on a project for a client is unusually exciting. I'm always looking for inspiration, new strategies, and cool ways to do what I already work so hard at doing.
As a child, I practiced writing in different "fonts", creating homemade cards to give to family & friends for all occasions, and I kept my notebooks handy to be used at a moment's notice. As a graphic designer, these experiences have shaped my views and style as a designer and I still do all three of those things.

The RESUME:

tarynkatter@gmail.com

Skills:
Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and After Effects
Mac OSX & PC/Microsoft systems
Typography
Publication design/layout
Screen printing

Education:
Southern Utah University
Aug 2008 - May 2013
Cedar City, UT
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design

Jordan High School
Aug 2003 - June 2006
Sandy, UT

Work Experience:
Southern Utah University
Annual Fund Call Center Manager / Publication Designer
Aug 2008 - May 2012
Cedar City, UT
Raised over $200,000 in scholarship donations from alumni over 4 consecutive years
Interviewed over 100 candidates and hired & trained over 20 employees
Designed postcards, letterhead, and edited photos for publications
Maintained alumni records, ran daily reports, oversaw donation process and ran daily operations of the call center

Memberships:
AIGA Member since 2012
SUU Graphic Design Club

Exhibitions:
SUU Student Show-off 2010 & 2011
Cedar City, UT


The JOB SEARCH:

10/2/12  I used this Salt Lake Magazine information and emailed for more information on a graphic design internship. Still no word back. 

10/12/12  I used this job listing to get more information about the part time position. Thought it would be good since I don't graduate until May. They said they want someone who can work in Salt Lake City but appreciated my inquiry.

10/18/12  This link makes me excited to apply at Teague in Seattle, but I want to finish my Motion Graphics project before I submit my application/resume.

10/30/12 Zumiez is hiring a private label graphic designer and I REALLY want to apply for this job since it's in Seattle, but I'm not confident in my online portfolio to apply.

11/30/12 I emailed this company about their open graphic design position and they wrote back asking for more examples of work. I haven't heard back yet, but I will be visiting the studio to deliver a portfolio/resume after finals week in Salt Lake.



The PORTFOLIO:
tarynkatter.com






















No comments:

Post a Comment